Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Secret Judgment and Pleasant Surprises

I've been thinking a lot about trust.

Who do I trust? Do I trust anyone? If so, what do I trust them with? My life? My thoughts? My dreams? My secrets?

There was a running joke a few years back about my trust issues. I do, in fact, trust people. And if you got all 17 people together you will catch a glimpse of who I really am. It's not that I don't think people will keep a secret--I just fear their judgment of what I have to share.

Having been burned before, I'm not likely to share a whole lot with anyone. I am sorry that people in the past of ruined it for those in presently in my life and for those I have yet to meet. But, I am working on it.

Today was the first real good day for a long while. It hasn't drastically changed my trust issues, but I believe that there are still people in the world who still want to do some good in it. There is a lot of pain and sorrow and hurt here. I see it everywhere I go. But I love it when God shows me the love and good and hope people are capable of demonstrating...even if it is found in the most unlikely of places.

I'm not as naive to start trusting people. We still have to be mindful to guard our hearts. But every once in awhile, people...even in the depths of their sorrow...can still surprise me.

And sometimes its enough to keep me going.

No comments: