Saturday, March 7, 2009

And Never Was Heard a Discouraging Word

But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.
--Paul, 1 Corinthians 14:3

And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God.
--Writer of Samuel, 1 Samuel 23:16

I have been encouraged this past week. Some of it was directly said to me, and some of it without my knowledge (well, that is, until someone else told me...). A large portion of encouragement wasn't found in words, but a small action like a smile or a pleasant surprise.

It amazes me what happens when we let our guards down and show someone we care, or that someone cares about us. You can find the confidence you lack when you hear that someone believes you can do anything. You can get through the toughest of storms when you find the support from family and friends. You can find the strength to get up and persevere when someone extends a helping hands. And the best moments of our life can be made more sweet when we are able to share an exciting story with someone who celebrates with you.

At times, our lives are marked by those who had betrayed us, discouraged us, abandoned us, rejected us, broken us. Our hearts are not protected, but rather attacked. The ending result is a shell of a life. I think we forget that we can speak life or death into people's lives. We may not think it means a lot at the time, but what we say and what we do can affect someone in a mighty way.

What we do (or don't do) matters.

All of us may not be able to prophesy the way that Paul had described it, but we can be a good friend. We can be blessings or curses. Of the two, I hope that I can be a blessing.

I have been encouraged by many people this week. And I'm finding that makes all the difference.

Be encouraged, friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is awesome Abby, and a real encouragement. God bless you sister!