Saturday, March 21, 2009

Little Drummer Boy

Tonight, I had dinner with my mom in Seattle.

I would never want to live in Seattle, but I love this little city. (Yes, it is little. No
, it will never be a metropolis.) After dinner, my mother and I were walking up Pine street. Because it is the Lenten season, flyers detailing the wisdom of the Dalai Lama were being handed out like candy at one corner while across the street a man literally stood upon a milk crate and screamed at the passersby that he loved them too much for them to go to hell for eternity and that Jesus Christ was the only way out.

And of course, in midst of the warring mouthpieces of contrasting religiosity, were the musicians.

Usually, I don't mind the musicians. Being a musician myself, I enjoy the efforts of those who have nothing other than their guitar, harmonica, accordian (yes, accordian!) violin, steel drum or a midi keyboar
d to keep them company.

Ah, the creative life isn't always a lucrative one.

However, the most enjoyable musican expressing their efforts was a little drummer boy on the corner of Nordstrom's. This kid is AMAZING. He must have been no more than twelve, with a big smile, sweet desposition, and natural talent for drumming. This wasn't just a banging on pickle tubs. He had rhythm, a strong beat, and an ear for sound. Music was pouring out of him through two sticks against a Kikkoman tub.

I loved it.


And in front of him was a little plastic tub, with a cardboard sign that simply stated: "College fund."

Too stinkin' adorable.

And for every dollar slipped into his donation jar, he smiled sweetly and said a genuine, "Thank you."

This kid could melt your heart. He certainly melted mine.
Good luck, Drummer Boy. You are very talented. I hope no one steals your money. I hope you get to college so that one day you can buy a drum set of your own. And maybe, I could say that I knew you when. I'm praying for you, kid.

P.S. I wish you could come play percussion with me at the 11 AM service. But since I can't steal you to come to church with me, maybe someday my church could come out to meet kids like you.

2 comments:

emmausmike said...

love the post. but what's stopping you from taking the church to him?

Lauren said...

Pick me! I wanna bring the church to him!