Sunday, January 18, 2009

17 People

So...I was informed today by a handful of people that I am somewhat of a mystery. I am very good at being very vague. I am very secretive.

I don't know if that is a good thing.

It used to be a running joke that I do share things about myself to a group of 17 people. However, out of those 17 people, no single person really knows everything about me. And if you get those 17 people together you would only catch a glimpse of who I really am.

Honestly, I did not intend for that to happen, it just did. I suppose that is a result of when you share ideas and concepts instead of details.

Again, I don't know if that is a good thing.

I was also informed today that more than two people read this blog. I actually want people to read this blog (comments are welcome!) but I was only aware of the two people who read this on a semi-regular basis. Apparently, I was wrong--there are more of you! This comes a welcome surprise.

So, I guess a little backstory may be necessary for those who have read my blogs and were confused by my vague, conceptual process stories.

To compensate, this is my offering.

1. Work: I currently work as a Donor Contact Representative at World Vision's call center (also referred to as DCS). February will mark my 2nd year at World Vision. For the past four months I have filled in a temporary position in Research for DCS while my co-worker was on maternity leave. She comes back on February 3rd and I go back to the phones in two weeks. Brokenhearted doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about this.

2. The Coffee Shop: I like coffee. Fine...I won't lie. I'm addicted. There is a coffee shop that I frequent and hereby referred to as "The Coffee Shop." No, it is not Starbucks. No, I'm not telling you where.

3. Church: I love my church family. We meet a movie theater in Tacoma. In my ten (!) years of being in Tacoma, this is where I find my heart, my friends, my family. They keep me grounded and they keep me here in a town where I vowed I would never live. I currently play piano for our worship team. It has been a difficult to learn how to play keyboard after being a classically trained pianist for twenty plus years. I'm learning, but there are moments of frustration when I feel like I'm holding back. I yearn to play piano, but the keyboard will have to suffice at the moment.

4. Family: Most of my family lives in the Renton/Kent area--which incidentally is where I grew up. It hasn't always been easy, but I love them with so much of my heart. I feel very beholden to them, which divides a lot of my loyalties.

5. Political Fascination: I have a degree in Sociology in Crime and Deviance. I was going to go to law school or graduate school for policy. However, God's plan was a little different than I had expected. Every once in awhile, my studies on policy come out in my random political tirades.

6. Random: I read a lot. I love music. I watch a lot of movies. And every once in awhile, a quote from one of those genres will get stuck in my head. My blogs are often borne from those quotes in my feeble attempt to get it out of my head.

7. Why I write this blog: I want to be a writer when I grow up. Since I don't have the discipline to actually write anything of worth, I decided this blog will have to do for now.

So, if you do read this blog and if you have any questions regarding any of these 7 things, I will be happy to answer. And I promise to be as honest and direct as I can. I also reserve the right to veto any questions. (Hee!) And maybe I'll add you to the list of 17 people who get to know about me.

Shameless Incentive: I'll buy a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate) to the first person who tells me where I got the phrase "17 people."

Special Thanks to Bryan who inspired this blog. See, I'm not mysterious at all.

4 comments:

emmausmike said...

The West Wing, thank you Aaron Sorkin.

Abby said...

Thanks, Mike! It is fitting that the one who has known me the longest (almost 10 years!) would know this.

Let me know when we can chat soon--I think I have some days left free in February! Coffee--or drink of choice--is on me!

Kristin said...

Darn Sandefurs, I was going to say West Wing!
Hehe, love chickle!

Amy said...

I really wonder if there is anyone out there who has one person who knows everything about them. I certainly don't. I am much like you in that way, but I don't think we are alone.