Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Spinning Words and the Little Things That Count

Today was infinitely better than yesterday.

Whatever had been torn apart, God graciously put back together.

My co-worker apologized again this morning. This time, it was accompanied with a cup of coffee. My co-worker isn't known for remembering the details. I stared at the coffee he had bought for me, and I started to cry again, moved by the thought behind the action. His apologies were sincere, and I heard his words. But sometimes, a small act of thoughtful kindness means more to me than what words could ever express.

A large part of my job involves communication. You have to put words together in a certain way to convey your intent in a consise manner without risking offending anyone. I spend so much of my time spinning words they no longer mean anything to me.

Don't get me wrong. If you're honest with me, you can talk all you want. No games...just tell me what it is that you want to say. If you're honest, I'll believe you. But if you're looking to get past my intellectual filter permanently set on overdrive, you don't have to say anything at all.

Yes, I love words. But isn't always what someone says that sticks with me. The moments that I commit to heart are usually without words. It's a smile that will never grow old for me. Time spent together for the sake of spending time together. A hug that lasts for an eternity.

Sure, it's the little things that count. And it's the little things that I love the most.

No comments: