Sunday, January 4, 2009

Waiting

I don't like waiting.

I know I'm not alone in this. If I took a poll, I'm sure no one would say that they would prefer waiting over not waiting.

And I'm sure that we've had sermons from Jon about waiting well. Apparently, it hasn't really stuck with me. I hope that as I meditate on His Word, I can finally learn the lesson on waiting and make Jon proud.

Forgive me, I am a slow learner.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.
--David, Psalm 23:2

Wait for the LORD. Be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD
--David, Psalm 27:14

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.
--David, Psalm 5:3

I hate waiting. I always feel like it is for an eternity, for the lack of a better cliche. Since God's timing is perfect, waiting shouldn't feel the way that it does: full of anxiety, worry and frustration. We make waiting difficult. We make it appear longer than it really should.

How does one take the anxiety out of waiting? How do we remain still and know that God's timing is perfect, God's plan is good, God's faithfulness is true? How do we get to that place where worry has no place and we can finally rest? How can we expect God's move without getting in the way?

Sure, I don't wait well. But it doesn't mean that I can't learn how to wait. I have a large hope in my heart, and I know it will come to pass if I just take a deep breath (or four or five or three hundred) and rest in God's peaceful presence. Anxiety, worry and frustration cannot exist where perfect peace, joy and love dwell.

So...here I am. Just waiting.

No comments: