Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Beyond Measure

I'm excited. This week, my small group is going through Ephesians 3, which just happens to house one of my favorite verses.

...And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasureably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.
--Paul, Ephesians 3:17-21

There are so many things I love about this passage. But the phrases that stick out to me are "you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God" and "[he] who is able to do immeasureably more than all we ask or imagine..."

I love it. Beauty.

For the past week, I have been anxiously anticipating the outcome of this odd journey into the unknown. Although "anxious" isn't quite the word to describe what my mind has gone though, I will say that I haven't been through this kind of anxiety in a long while. I seemed to have everything figured out in times past, but in this round, I know nothing. I can do nothing.

Not that I ever had control anyway.

However, going through these anxious thoughts has spurred me to draw closer to God. I seek his presence, his peace, his joy and his comfort. The circumstances are pretty much the same. I still don't know what is going on, and I'm pretty sure I will remain uncertain for a period of time. Surprisingly enough, I am filled with so much joy and peace and love and hope and...and...and...

...let's just say the list is endless.

I have a lot of hope in my heart. And my mind cannot fathom what God has in store for me. But this Bible passage holds a promise that the God who loves me has something more than what I can imagine and is far beyond measure.

I am in the middle of the unknown, but I eagerly anticipate what will unfold in God's perfect timing and plan.

It's gonna be great.

No comments: