Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Inability to Calm Down in the Face of the Unknown

Sigh. Another long blog title. I guess I've given up being witty...there's just too much going on in my brain. And so here comes another peek at how I process things in hopes that I would give up and just surrender.

I apologize in advance for the two (quite possibly five now) who read this.

Right now, I am supposed to be working on a presentation for work, but instead, I've spent the past hour dinking around on Facebook and writing this blog. I hope after this I will be able to focus and get back to work.

On peut toujours esperer.

My mind, of course, is in a whirl. I approach these next few weeks with some apprehension.

Fine. I won't lie. I am terribly anxious.

I try not to be, but it is what it is. I am uncertain of my footing. I don't know what to do next and its driving me crazy. Things are going to change in the next few weeks and I fluctuate between mind-numbing fear and complete denial.

And so I sit here, far too nervous to work on the project that could change everything. I realize I have too much riding on this project and I need to stop placing so much pressure on myself.

I wish I could get to the place where I trust God and rest in his peaceful presence.


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to the Lord. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
--Paul, Philippians 4:6-7

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.
--Paul, 2nd Timothy 1:7

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
--John, 1 John 4:18


All right. I'm breathing now.

In this frantic journey I suddenly find myself in, I have come to realize how much I fear the unknown. But I resolve to meditate on the things I do know; the truths about God--the Truth that is God, so that I may find the peace I seek...

...and finally calm down.

On peut toujours esperer.

There is always hope.

4 comments:

Sara Sandefur said...

Do you know that the upcoming change you so fear is going to be bad? I have a love/hate relationship with change. I'm always waiting for it to happen but usually terrified when it does. Every circumstance teaches you something about yourself and how you want to live. Yes, there is always hope.

Abby said...

I don't know if the upcoming change I fear will be bad. Hmmm...well, I take that back. How it changes could result in either a good way or a bad way...depending on how you look at it.

I guess I like the way things are. And I fear that when the change actually happens, I'm not going to like it as much as I like things now.

Lauren said...

Abby, the verses in this post brought me to tears...for many deeper reasons. Thank you for being faithful in the Word. I'm thankful for you. ;)

Abby said...

Lauren--I am glad God spoke to you through his Word today. I'm praying for you, my friend.